Friday, May 29, 2015

The Pain of being a Victim

The pain of being a victim is like a thousand needles that stab at the heart daily and even late at night.  At the time one should find rest, the thoughts swirling around in the mind keeps a tired body wide awake.  This perpetual cycle of restlessness is like an unrelenting mosquito with unfinished business.

It really hurts because I know that there is no difference other than what is on the outside and over what I have no control, I am being made to suffer.  This time old problem of society needs confrontation if ever it is to end.  I have always fought for what is right and I have always challenged what is wrong and that is how everyone ought to be.  That is an wholesome being who blesses society.  Of late, as I have begun graying a little more, I see that the will to stand is still there but the drive is a little dulled.

Thankfully, there are people in this world who still care, those who still have concern.  They regalvanize me with new intent and purpose.  Who is better? When the French desired an egalitarian society, it came after a lot of pain and suffering.  Many countries in the world are still struggling with issues of race and class.  Xenophobia is the scourge of the planet because no one owns anything. My friend is an undertaker and I constantly ask him the rhetorical question "Did any of them take anything with them?"  Hoping for a different answer each time, I am not pleasantly surprised when he says: "No, not yet."  Everything that I have been taught in my Christian education tells me just that.  Everybody is transitioning and the world is in a perpetual state of transition.  The only thing constant is change and it is inevitable.  Nobody's status in life is going to be forever the same.  It can be worse, or it can be better.  In this modern age of the internet, one can shape the collective conscience of the public.  The only thing that will endure is that which is founded upon the truth.

Liars shall not see the kingdom of heaven - Lies tries to subvert the truth but like a geyser, the truth can never be contained.  It will out for that is its nature. Call it what you will - Karma, divine retribution or what goes around comes around, there is a right way to live well.  In Africa, they call it Ubuntu which essentially is "I am OK if you are OK."  In the narcissistic and material driven society in which we live, the saying could be "I'm OK but I don't care if you're OK, further; 'leave me alone'".  We don't want to be touched or affected beyond what's close to our noses.  Only the collective conscience and power of the net can galvanize people together and give them purpose in life.  Life lived without purpose is not life well lived.  So, while we may be far physically or different uniquely, we are brothers and sisters on this rock floating in space.  Let our hearts and consciences live again as we gain perspective.  There is more to life than just me.

2 comments: